Background & Aims
Abbreviations used in this paper:CRC (colorectal cancer), FIT (fecal immunochemical test), ICER (incremental cost-effectiveness ratio), LYG (life-years gained), MISCAN-Colon (Microsimulation Screening Analysis-Colon)
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Gastroenterology
- Changing epidemiology and clinical issues arising in an ageing cystic fibrosis population.Ther Adv Respir Dis. 2011; 5: 105-119
- The prevalence of cystic fibrosis in the European Union.J Cyst Fibros. 2008; 7: 450-453
- The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Patient Registry. Design and methods of a national observational disease registry.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016; 13: 1173-1179
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Patient Registry 2015 Annual Data Report. Bethesda, Maryland. 2016. Available at: https://www.cff.org/Our-Research/CF-Patient-Registry/2015-Patient-Registry-Annual-Data-Report.pdf.
- Early colon screening of adult patients with cystic fibrosis reveals high incidence of adenomatous colon polyps.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2014; 48: e85-e88
- Cancer risk in cystic fibrosis: a 20-year nationwide study from the United States.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013; 105: 122-129
- Colon cancer in lung transplant recipients with CF: increased risk and results of screening.J Cyst Fibros. 2011; 10: 366-369
- Colonoscopic screening shows increased early incidence and progression of adenomas in cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2016; 15: 548-553
- Once-only flexible sigmoidoscopy screening in prevention of colorectal cancer: a multicentre randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2010; 375: 1624-1633
- Randomised controlled trial of faecal-occult-blood screening for colorectal cancer.Lancet. 1996; 348: 1472-1477
- A randomised study of screening for colorectal cancer using faecal occult blood testing: results after 13 years and seven biennial screening rounds.Gut. 2002; 50: 29-32
- A novel hypothesis on the sensitivity of the fecal occult blood test: results of a joint analysis of 3 randomized controlled trials.Cancer. 2009; 115: 2410-2419
- Colonoscopic polypectomy and long-term prevention of colorectal-cancer deaths.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 687-696
- Colorectal cancer mortality: effectiveness of biennial screening for fecal occult blood.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1999; 91: 434-437
- Effect of flexible sigmoidoscopy screening on colorectal cancer incidence and mortality: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2014; 312: 606-615
- Colorectal-cancer incidence and mortality with screening flexible sigmoidoscopy.New Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 2345-2357
- Once-only sigmoidoscopy in colorectal cancer screening: follow-up findings of the Italian randomized controlled trial - SCORE.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011; 103: 1310-1322
- Guidelines for colonoscopy surveillance after screening and polypectomy: a consensus update by the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer.Gastroenterology. 2012; 143: 844-857
Hadjiliadis D, Khoruts A, Zauber AG, et al; on behalf of the Cystic Fibrosis Colorectal Cancer Screening Task Force. Cystic fibrosis colorectal cancer screening consensus recommendations. Gastroenterology 2018;154:736–745.
Vogelaar I, van Balegooijen M, Zauber AG, et al. Model profiler of the MISCAN-Colon miscosimulation model for colorectal cancer. Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC. 2004. Available at: http://cisnet.flexkb.net/mp/pub/cisnet_colorectal_sloankettering_profile.pdf.
- Should colorectal cancer screening be considered in elderly persons without previous screening? A cost-effectiveness analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 160: 750-759
- Secular trends in colon and rectal cancer relative survival.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013; 105: 1806-1813
Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program. SEER*Stat Database: Incidence—SEER 9 Regs Limited Use, Nov 2002 Sub (1973–2000). National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch. Released April 2003, based on the November 2002 submission.
- Incidence and distribution of adenomatous polyps of the colon and rectum based on 1,000 autopsy examinations.Dis Colon Rectum. 1964; 7: 249-261
- Polyps of the colon in Barcelona, Spain. An autopsy study.Cancer. 1988; 61: 1472-1476
- Adenomatous polypi of large intestine: incidence and distribution.Ann Surg. 1963; 157: 223-226
- Prevalence of polyps in an autopsy series from areas with varying incidence of large-bowel cancer.Int J Cancer. 1985; 36: 179-186
- Predictors of presence, multiplicity, size and dysplasia of colorectal adenomas. A necropsy study in New Zealand.Gut. 1992; 33: 1508-1514
- Polyps of the large intestine in Aarhus, Denmark. An autopsy study.Scand J Gastroenterol. 1989; 24: 799-806
- Polyps of the colon and rectum: incidence and distribution.Dis Colon Rectum. 1961; 4: 277-282
- Adenomatous lesions of the large bowel: an autopsy survey.Cancer. 1979; 43: 1847-1857
- The prevalence of polyps of the large intestine in Oslo: an autopsy study.Cancer. 1982; 49: 819-825
- Polyps and cancer of the large bowel: a necropsy study in Liverpool.Gut. 1982; 23: 835-842
- Estimation of benefits, burden, and harms of colorectal cancer screening strategies: modeling study for the US Preventive Services Task Force.JAMA. 2016; 315: 2595-2609
- Lung cancer following lung transplant: single institution 10 year experience.Lung Cancer. 2013; 81: 451-454
- Polyp miss rate determined by tandem colonoscopy: a systematic review.Am J Gastroenterol. 2006; 101: 343-350
- Multitarget stool DNA testing for colorectal-cancer screening.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 1287-1297
- Risk of perforation after colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy: a population-based study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003; 95: 230-236
- Prevalence of advanced colorectal neoplasia in white and black patients undergoing screening colonoscopy in a safety-net hospital.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 159: 13-20
- Adverse events after outpatient colonoscopy in the Medicare population.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 849-857, W152
- The incidence and cost of unexpected hospital use after scheduled outpatient endoscopy.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 1752-1757
Bureau of Labor Statistics. Current Employment Statistics (National). Available at: www.bls.gov/web/empsit/ceseesummary.htm. (Accessed August 16, 2016).
- Cost of care for elderly cancer patients in the United States.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008; 100: 630-641
The United States Department of Labor. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Consumer Price Index. Available at: http://www.bls.gov/cpi/tables.htm.
- Effects of gender and age at diagnosis on disease progression in long-term survivors of cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010; 182: 614-626
- The polyp-cancer sequence in the large bowel.Proc R Soc Med. 1974; 67: 451-457
- Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: a joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of Radiology.CA Cancer J Clin. 2008; 58: 130-160
- Recommendations for the care of individuals with an inherited predisposition to Lynch syndrome: a systematic review.JAMA. 2006; 296: 1507-1517
- Cancer risks associated with germline mutations in MLH1, MSH2, and MSH6 genes in Lynch syndrome.JAMA. 2011; 305: 2304-2310
- Longevity of patients with cystic fibrosis in 2000 to 2010 and beyond: survival analysis of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation patient registry.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 161: 233-241
- Gastrointestinal manifestations of cystic fibrosis.Dig Dis Sci. 2015; 60: 1903-1913
Conflicts of interests The authors disclose no conflicts.
Funding This study was funded by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF), the Cancer Intervention and Surveillance Modeling Network consortium (CISNET, grant U01CA199335 ), and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Support Grant/Core Grant (Ann G. Zauber, PhD; P30 CA008748 ).
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship.